To setup Office 365 on an iPad its always best to have the latest version of iOS to ensure any bug fixes or updates to ActiveSync have been deployed.
Before beginning you need to be armed with 2 or 3 pieces of information:
- Your email address – this will be something like firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your Password
- And if you use AD Federation then there is a chance that your email and your AD account don’t match then you may have a user ID like email@example.com or LIVERPOOL\ringo.starr.
Office 365 login to Outlook Web App first
I like to test my account info using Outlook Web App first then I know that I have the information correct and I can rule that out as an issue if it doesn’t work first time – it’s very common for typos on the phone or password miscommunication to cause issues connecting. Go to mail.office365.com and test signing in with your credentials. If it signs in you now know you have the right information.
Setup Office 365 on an iPad
- Turn on your iPhone, and then tap the Settings icon.
- On the Settings screen, tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- On the Mail, Contacts, Calendars screen, tap Add Account.
- On the Add Account screen, tap Microsoft Exchange – you can have multiple Exchange accounts
- On the Exchange screen, tap the Email box, and then type your e-mail address. (For example firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Tap the Username box, and then type your e-mail address again unless you have been told it is different to the email, either because of Federation or some other company policy.
- Tap the Password box, and then type your password.
- Leave the Description box – by default, the Description box is filled automatically with your e-mail address. You can overwrite this if you want a different description. You can leave the domain box blank.
- Tap Next – the iPad begins verifying the account information (this can take a minute or so) – if you receive a Verify Certificate message, tap Accept.
- The Server box should auto populate but if it doesn’t tap the Server box, and then type mail.office365.com – do not include the https:// prefix.
- Tap Next.
- The iPad sometimes begins verifying the new information. If you receive a Verify Certificate message here, tap Accept.
- Select the information you want to synchronize, and then tap Done – it is recommended to sync all items and use the Exchange repository as your central database for calendaring, contacts and email. Therefore if you change a contact in Outlook, your phone will be updated immediately and vice-versa.
Thats it. Done you now have Office 365 email setup on an iPad.
Call to Action – Help us Help More People
If you found this article helpful please make a comment or share us with your community clicking on the share links below.
Also check out these other device articles: